Randy Newman, Marc Almond and Justin Hayward were among those honored at the 58th Ivor Novello Awards in London on May 16th, celebrating, honoring and rewarding excellence in songwriting and composing.
The Maccabees kicked off proceedings winning the Best Contemporary Song Award with Pelican. Best Song Musically and Lyrically went to Emeli Sande for Next To Me.
The Ivors Inspiration Award was taken home by Mark Almond and Gavin Rossdale won International Achievement Award. Veterans Justin Hayward was given the PRS for Music Award for Outstanding Achievement (presented to Justin by Marty Wilde) while Randy Newman received the PRS for Music Special International Award.
Outstanding Song Collection Award was accepted by Noel Gallagher with a characteristically heart-warming blue acceptance speech.
Best Original Film Score for Anna Karenina went to Dario Marianelli, the full list is below.
The Ivor Novello Awards are presented and judged by the writing community and regarded as the most important awards for UK music writers.
Winners of the 58th Ivor Novello Awards:
• Best Contemporary Song - Pelican - Written by Sam Doyle, Rupert Jarvis, Orlando Weeks, Felix White and Hugo White
• PRS for Music Most Performed Work - Next to Me - Written by Hugo Chegwin, Harry Craze, Anup Paul and Emeli Sande
• Best Television Soundtrack - Lucian Freud: Painted Life - Composed by John Harle
• The Ivors Inspiration Award - Marc Almond
• Album Award - An Awesome Wave (Alt-J) - Written by Thomas Green, Joe Newman, Gwilym Sainsbury and Augustus Unger-Hamilton
• The Ivors Classical Music Award - Errollyn Wallen MBE
• PRS for Music Award for Outstanding Achievement - Justin Hayward
• Best Original Film Score - Anna Karenina - Composed by Dario Marianelli
• Best Song Musically and Lyrically - Next to Me - Written by Hugo Chegwin, Harry Craze, Anup Paul and Emeli Sande
• International Achievement - Gavin Rossdale
• Songwriter of the Year - Calvin Harris
• Outstanding Song Collection - Noel Gallagher
• PRS for Music Special International Award - Randy Newman
In 1985, the Moody Blues received an Ivor Novello Award for Outstanding Contribution to British Music, and in 1988, Justin won Composer of the Year for I Know You're Out There Somewhere.